I’m loving this soup — it’s a great twist from your traditional vegetable soup. The tortellini adds a unique Italian flavor and is the perfect dinner for a cold night! It makes a bunch and leftovers freeze well for any day of the week. The pasta can get squishy if you leave it in the refrigerator for a long time so either eat it or freeze it or add the tortellini individually each time you heat it up!
Tortellini & Vegetable Soup
Serves: 6 • Prep Time: 30 minutes • Cook Time: 40 minutes
Wine Pairing: any Pinot Noir
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 311.6 • Fat: 6.5g • Carb: 49.1g • Protein: 16.7g • Fiber: 10.8g • Sugar: 8.5g
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 15.5oz. can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 package three cheese tortellini
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add chopped onion, carrots, dried parsley, oregano & basil. Stir to mix and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, beans, diced tomatoes and red chili flakes. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add kale and tortellini. Cover and let cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, test your soup to make sure tortellini is cooked through.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.