Our soba noodle salad is made with healthy buckwheat soba noodles and extra veggies for protein & fiber. These unique flavors make this salad incredibly satisfying and a perfect choice on warmer days! It’s served cold and could easily be packed for a healthy lunch at work!
Soba Noodle Salad with Seared Tuna
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 20 minutes • Cook Time: 15 minutes
Wine Pairing: a crisp light white wine
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 480.8 • Fat: 10.3g • Carb: 58.1g • Protein: 43.1g • Fiber: 3.9g • Sugar: 4.5g
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 of a cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 4 scallions, root ends removed & sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 4 – 3oz. tuna steaks
- S & P
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 8 oz. buckwheat soba noodles (Whole Foods carries them)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sriracha chile sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Bring water to a boil and cook soba noodles according to the directions. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add frozen edamame. When finished cooking, drain and rinse with cold water until the noodles and edamame are chilled.
- Meanwhile, combine cabbage, spinach, carrots, cucumber, scallions, cilantro, mint, and basil in a large mixing bowl.
- Add noodles and edamame once chilled.
- Combine ingredients in the dressing in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and noodles and toss to combine. Place in refrigerator.
- Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high to high heat. When hot, spray with Pam non-stick cooking spray and place steaks on the hot pan. You want the pan to be really hot so they sear quickly rather than steaming.
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until tuna reaches desired doneness. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Plate each bowl with the chilled soba noodle salad and top with a piece of tuna.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts and serve immediately.