Ever since having tabbouleh at a Mediterranean restaurant a few years ago, I’m a little obsessed. The one I tried wasn’t the traditional style that’s packed with parsley and that’s okay by me. Nothing against parsley, but I don’t want to eat that much of it.
I like adding quinoa to the mix to add protein to the salad and it makes it more filling. Plus, I have a crush on quinoa as of late. It’s easy to make and easy to eat! You could add a little reduced fat crumbled feta to the salad if you want, but here I didn’t so that my dad, who can’t eat dairy, could enjoy it too!
Serves: 6 • Prep Time: 15 minutes • Cook Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 143.5 • Fat: 3.2g • Carb: 25g • Protein: 4.8g • Fiber: 2.9g • Sugar: 2.2g
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 lemons, juiced (do it to your own taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and let sit in a strainer to drain excess water from them for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, parsley, red onion, garlic and quinoa in a large bowl. Add tomatoes after draining.
- Toss lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled.