Everyday should start with a good breakfast. This one provides lean protein with the peppery bite of arugula – my favorite green!
Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 5 minutes • Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 204.6 • Fat: 9.3g • Carb: 16.9g • Protein: 12.1g • Fiber: 1.1g • Sugar: .2g
- 4 small slices of sourdough or chewy white bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 cup reduced fat white cheddar, grated
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 4 slices turkey bacon, crisping tutorial here
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cook turkey bacon on wire racks over a foil-lined baking sheet for 20 minutes — see tutorial for more detailed instructions. When slightly cooled, cut in half and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat. When hot, spray with Pam and crack your egg into the pan, season lightly with salt and pepper. Fry your egg until it reaches desired doneness (I like mine over-easy). Keep eggs warm on a warm plate covered with foil.
- While your eggs are cooking, toast each slice of bread and top with 1 1/2 tsp cheddar and a strip of bacon.
- Top with arugula and a fried egg.