Lasagna has always been one of my favorites, but I really can’t stand when it’s just covered in cheese. I like to be able to taste each layer. The meat, the noodles, the sauce, and then yes, the cheese.
I’d recently seen a few versions of kale lasagna and thought I’d give it a whirl. I wanted mine to have a more meaty flavor and texture, so I decided to add mushrooms. I seriously ate this for days. It reheats nicely and has a great flavor. I didn’t miss the meat at all!
I like making dishes like this since I work from home and eat just about every meal during the week at home. Sure saves a lot of money!
The real key to keeping this lasagna delicious was covering it and keeping the moisture in. The first time I tested this recipe I didn’t cover it and the lasagna was dry as a bone! Not exactly what I was going for.
Cooking this week was fun, because I had a little sous chef! Actually, he was really playing janitor quite nicely. He loves scraps, but what dog doesn’t! Laddie did look a bit jealous that he couldn’t get in on the vegetarian lasagna after all his help.
Mushroom, Kale & Zucchini Lasagna
Serves 8 • Prep Time: 25 minutes • Cook Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition per Serving Cal:452.5 • Fat: 15g • Carb: 54g • Protein: 15.1g • Fiber: 5.3g • Sugar: 7.7g
- 10 oz. kale, chopped
- 8oz. package of baby bella mushrooms, stems removed & chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella shredded, plus 1 cup for the topping
- 1 cup part skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 jar prego Roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 1 lb. lasagna sheets, no-bake sheets
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil on the stove. When boiling, add kale and cook for 2 minutes. Strain and let cool slightly. Squeeze and excess water out the kale and place in a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and when hot, saute mushrooms until tender, about 4 minutes. Place mushrooms in the same bowl as the kale.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add crushed red pepper, mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, basil, oregano, lemon zest, egg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine evenly.
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with Pam. Spoon a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay down one layer of lasagna noodles. Spoon half of the veggie and cheese mixture onto the noodles. Take half of the zucchini and spread them over the veggies and cheese. Spoon some sauce to coat this layer. Add another layer of noodles and repeat.
- Finish with a layer of noodles and cover the top with the remaining sauce. Make sure sauce spreads to the edges to keep the noodles from drying out. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cover with foil and bake another 30 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a side of steamed broccoli or asparagus.