Greek food is delicious, simple and so fresh. These pitas are great for lunch or dinner. They’d also be great in the summer on the grill! Tzatziki sauce packs a punch and is super super low in fat! One 6oz. container of Greek yogurt is the perfect amount for this dish.
Greek Chicken Pitas with Tzatziki
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 25 minutes • Cook Time: 15 minutes
Beer Pairing: Fix (a Greek beer) or a crisp white wine
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 296 • Fat: 5.6g • Carb: 25g • Protein: 37.4g • Fiber: 4g • Sugar: 1.8g
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 1/2in. cubes
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 skewers
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (or whatever is remaining from the 6oz. container)
- 1/4 cup grated cucumber, squeezed of excess water
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets, cut in half
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 1/4 cup low fat crumbled feta cheese
- In a large non-reactive bowl, combine all the ingredients under chicken marinade. Add chicken and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Prepare tzatziki sauce an hour or two before eating — you can also make it the day before. If the liquid separates, just drain it off and stir it. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Make sure you really squeeze as much water out of the cucumber as you can!
- Thread equal amounts of chicken on each skewer. Heat your grill or grill pan to medium heat. Spray with nonstick Pam and grill on each side for about 4-5 minutes, turning 3 times, or until done. Make sure to watch the chicken as all grills will be different.
- Remove from grill and cover with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces, I halved each piece after pulling it off the skewer.
- Heat your pita breads over the stove or grill until pliable.
- Fill with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, feta and chicken. Serve with tzatziki sauce.