I’m love crispy chicken, but fried chicken is too high in fat to eat regularly. Our baked version satisfies that crisp crunch you crave while remaining low in fat! The two types of breadcrumbs are a nice little trick too. The bigger Panko crumbs are extra crunchy, and the finer breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken where the Panko doesn’t. What does that mean? Extra crunch and flavor! And who doesn’t love those?
The arugula, mozzarella and tomato salad give this dish a very Italian feel. And you know how we feel about Italy…(we wish we could move there forever).
Crispy Chicken with Arugula, Mozzarella & Tomato Salad
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 15 minutes • Cook Time: 20 minutes
Wine Pairing: Syrah (or Shiraz, depending on where you are!)
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 364.3 • Fat: 8.9g • Carb: 33.5g • Protein: 40.3g • Fiber: 7.3g • Sugar: 1.2g
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp Country Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup regular plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, about 2 breasts, cut in half
- 4 big handfuls of arugula, 4-5 cups
- 4oz. fresh part-skim mozzarella, cubed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean-up) and place wire racks on top. Spray wire racks with canola oil spray.
- Set up a 3-part breading station. In the first shallow bowl, add flour and season with salt. In the second, combine egg with mustard. In the last combine both breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley, cayenne and salt. Stir each one to mix and evenly combine spices.
- Place chicken in plastic bags or cover with plastic wrap and pound breasts to about a 1/2-inch thick.
- Dredge chicken in flour, patting off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Lastly, dip in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly so that breadcrumbs adhere.
- Place on wire racks. Continue until all chicken breasts are breaded.
- Lightly spray the chicken breasts with canola oil spray. Flip and spray the other side. This helps them to brown!
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the arugula, mozzarella, tomatoes and pine nuts.
- Dress the salad just before serving so that it doesn’t wilt.
- Serve chicken hot!