Do you love burrito joints like Chipotle or Qdoba? We do too, but they’re packed with sodium & calories! The skinny version substitutes healthy brown rice for white and tops each burrito bowl with light, fresh ingredients to cut back on sodium, fat and calories!
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 20 minutes • Cook Time: 40 minutes
Beer Pairing: Corona Light with a wedge of lime
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 502.3 • Fat: 11.6g • Carb: 60.3g • Protein: 41.5g • Fiber: 17g • Sugar: 2.4g
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cilantro, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-15oz. cans low sodium black beans
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 an onion, sliced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp,cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, about 1/2 a pack
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta
- 1 avocado, cubed
- To prepare rice, combine rice, broth, water, salt and 1/2 cup of cilantro in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer according to rice directions.
- When rice is done cooking, fluff with a fork and add remaining cilantro and lime juice, stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, combine all bean ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- To cook chicken, sprinkle rub over it and press lightly to adhere. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook on each side for 7 minutes, or until cooked through. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- After chicken has cooked, add vegetables to the same pan and saute for 5-7 minutes until they are tender crisp.
- Assemble each plate with rice on the bottom, beans, chicken and veggies and top with pico de gallo, feta and avocado.