Over the past few years, I’ve gotten pretty good at cooking for one. Those meals used to end in mounds of leftovers. A serious case of my eyes were bigger than my stomach. But I’ve gotten better, and this one is perfect for one!
Lately I’ve been eating a lot of kale, why? It’s pretty cheap and Trader Joe’s sells it in pre-chopped packages, making it super easy to make salads with it! On a hot summer day, there’s nothing like a fresh salad and this one hits the spot. I like to add lots of veggies to it so that it’s filling enough to hold me over until dinner.
It’s also a serious power lunch! My version of kale salad is packed full of veggies and good fats from avocados, almonds and olive oil! This is one salad where I recommend adding the dressing about 15-30 minutes before you eat it. Kale is fibrous and adding the lemon juice early helps break it down a bit. If salads for lunch isn’t your thing, try it as a side salad for dinner for 2 people!
Looking for another way to use kale? I’ve had it with my caesar dressing and grilled chicken and it’s perfect!
Serves: 1 • Prep Time: 6 minutes • Cook Time: 0 minutes
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 214.8 • Fat: 11.4g • Carb: 25.3g • Protein: 9.3g • Fiber:9.3g • Sugar: 4.5g
- 2 cups kale
- 1/8 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 baby carrots, sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tsp sliced almonds
- 2 tsp freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- lemon juice
- a few dashes of garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients through Parmigiano-Reggiano in a bowl. Add olive oil and toss to coat.
- Squeeze a wedge of lemon over the salad and season with a few dashes of garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss again to combine and let the salad sit for 10 minutes to start breaking down the kale — you can eat it immediately, but it will be more bitter and tough. *Add grilled chicken for more protein, if desired. (not included in nutritional data)